MARY: THE SORROWFUL MOTHER

 *Friday 15th September, 2023* 

 *OUR LADY OF SORROW* 


First Reading. 1 Timothy 1: 1-2,12-14

Psalm. 15:1-2, 5, 7-8,11

Gospel. John 19: 25-27


TOPIC FOR REFLECTION


 *BLESSED VIRGIN MARY: THE SORROWFUL MOTHER* 


Let us reflect on the seven (7) sorrows of Mary, because the church in her wisdom wants her members to appreciate the gift of Mary's motherhood a day that follows the exaltation of her son on the cross, where Jesus handed us over to her.


1) The Prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:34-35)


2) The Flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-21)


3) The Loss of Jesus for Three Days (Luke 2:41-50)


4) The Carrying of the Cross (John 19:17)


5) The Crucifixion of Jesus (John 19:18-30)


6) Jesus Taken Down from the Cross (John 19:39-40)


7) Jesus Laid in the Tomb (John 19:39-42)


From conception to the death of Jesus, Mary felt all these sorrows in her heart.


To my dear mothers in the house, how would you feel if you were in the position of Mary? 

I guess some might even say that the boy Jesus is a curse and not a blessing, some might even go the extra mile to curse the day he was born.


Well, this is the uniqueness of our Blessed Ever-Virgin Mary, she bore all this in her heart and suffered with Jesus to the point of his death.


Come to think of it, I am sure no mother will ever pray to see her child suffer, tortured, humiliated, condemned as a criminal, and even see him being killed and buried in her presence. Oh, what a sorrowful mother 😭😭😭😭😭.


I could not hold my tears.


Which mother would it be seeing her child being tortured, humiliated, castigated, beaten and condemned to die like a criminal, that will not feel the agony and sorrow in her heart? 


Which mother would it be that will not feel sorrowful who at birth carried her child in her hand, and at death still carry her same child in her hand?


Which mother would not feel sorrowful seeing her child being buried in her presence?


My dear, if you are among those who condemn this holy woman, have a re-think today.


Even St. Paul in today's first reading confessed how ignorant he was saying:

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, and who judged me faithful enough to call me into his service even though I used to be a blasphemer and did all I could to injure and discredit the faith. Mercy, however, was shown to me, because until I became a believer I had been acting in ignorance, and the grace of our Lord filled me with faith and with the love that is in Christ Jesus.


The mercy that St. Paul received flowed from the cross of Calvary, and it is on the same cross Jesus having felt the pain in her mother's heart, handed her over to John His disciple, and in turn handed all humanity to her when he said: 

Woman look at your son, son look at your mother. (John represented humanity at the cross)


This statement of Jesus is a confirmation of what Mary said in Luke 1: 48, "... all generation shall call me blessed..."


Who will not love a mother who suffered for him/her?


Use your tongue to count your teeth.


 *Peace ✌️ be with you.* 


 *Rev. Fr. Segun Oladeji, CRS.* 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DO YOU KNOW WHY AND HOW JESUS OVERCAME HIS TEMPTATION?

IF JESUS WAS BAD, CAN YOU FOLLOW HIM?

DO NOT BE A HYPOCRITICAL PERSON