LOVE YOUR FAMILY

SATURDAY, July 29, 2023


16th Week in Ordinary Time


SAINT MARTHA, MARY & LAZARUS (MEMORIAL)

Mass of the memorial.

First reading. 1 John 4: 7-16

Psalm. 34: 2-11

Gospel. John 11:19-27


TOPIC FOR REFLECTION


VALUE YOUR SIBLINGS, AND EMULATE MARTHA'S FAITH. 

An extract from Pope Francis' DECREE of 26th January 2021 on the Celebration of Saints MARTHA, MARY, AND LAZARUS in the General Roman Calendar.


"In the household of Bethany, the Lord Jesus experienced the family spirit and friendship of Martha, Mary, and Lazarus, and for this reason, the Gospel of John states that He loved them. Martha generously offered him hospitality, Mary listened attentively to his words and Lazarus promptly emerged from the tomb at the command of the One who humiliated death."


As recorded in today's Gospel, Lazarus who was reported ill in verse 1 finally died without Jesus being around. However, as soon as Jesus came and Martha saw Him, she ran to Him and exclaimed in a loud voice, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. Immediately she professed her faith in Jesus saying, even as you are here now, whatever you ask God, He will do. What a strong affirmative faith. I pray we exercise such beautiful strong faith in God.


The following conversation continued between them.


JESUS: Your brother will rise again.

MARTHA: I know he will rise again at the resurrection, on the last day.

JESUS: I am the resurrection and the life. If anyone believes in me, even though he dies he will live, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.

Do you believe this?

MARTHA: Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this world.


My dear friends in Christ, the Gospel has explained itself.

Let us learn to trust God and profess our faith in Him.


This means Martha believes that with Jesus, things were possible.

The reason is that we should not allow our familiarity with a pastor or priest to underestimate their anointed power.

Martha teaches us that today.


Similarly, for the sake of her brother, she exercises her faith in her brother Lazarus who was already dead.


My dear, let me tell you, FAMILY is everything oooo.

You do not choose your siblings by yourself, God chose them for you.

You may forget your friend you choose, but you dare not forget your siblings whom God gave to you.

Love one another as siblings.

So, let no fight separate you as siblings, you are one family, and Jesus loves every family like He did love the family of Sts. Martha, Mary, and Lazarus.


Let the faith of St. Martha encourage us today. Know that with God all things are possible. She professed her faith on behalf of her brother. My dear, be ready to sacrifice for your siblings, and we should never pay back evil for the good any of our siblings do to help us in life.

Let us also in our difficult situations try to emulate her. We could say


           Jesus, I know you are here present

           in my difficult situation, I hand

           over all to you because I know with

           you all things are possible.


My dear, God has the final say.

Our faith in Him will build our future, but our doubt will only destroy our future.


More so, In any difficult situations, we may find ourselves in, let us just simply pray 🙏 with faith. The God who raised Lazarus from the dead will raise you from your difficult situations in Jesus' name.


LET US PRAY

Lord Jesus, I believe you know and see everything, I am sure if you are in my situation, you will know what to do.

Please 🙏, Lord, raise me from my ugly situation like you raised Lazarus from the dead. 

Make me pay attention to you always like Mary does sit at your feet to listen attentively to you. kindly teach me how to handle my situation because you are the only person who knows how to handle situations. 

Lord, I joined my voice with St. Martha to say, I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this world to save us. Amen.


Sts. Mary, Martha and Lazarus....... Pray for us

 

Peace ✌️ be with you.


Rev. Fr. Segun Oladeji, CRS.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DO YOU KNOW WHY AND HOW JESUS OVERCAME HIS TEMPTATION?

IF JESUS WAS BAD, CAN YOU FOLLOW HIM?

DO NOT BE A HYPOCRITICAL PERSON