IF YOU ARE A SAINT, GO TO SLEEP; BUT, AS A SINNER, READ

 Friday, July 7, 2023


Weekday (13)


First Reading. Genesis 23: 1-4.19; 24: 1-8, 62-67

Psalm. 106: 1-5 (R.1b)

Gospel. Matthew 9: 9-13


TOPIC FOR REFLECTION


ARE YOU A SINNER OR A SAINT?

Helloooooooooooooo, should I stop to hellooooo you? 😆 😆 😆 


Okay, I have stopped, it seems my hello is too long.


Please, if you are a saint, drop this post and go to sleep, because it's not for you, but for sinners like us who need CHRIST JESUS.


However, if you see yourself as a sinner in this world, then you need Christ, but if you see yourself as a living saint in this world as I said earlier, do not read further, because you do not need Christ. QED


Excuse me, did I just hear you say I am wrong?

Wait, are you accusing me of promoting the sinners and not the righteous?


Well, before you crucify me, I will be glad to let you know that it was Jesus who said it and not me. Let me quote Him for you before you conclude that I am judging 😂😂😂


Jesus said: Those who are well (self-acclaimed saints) do not need a physician (Jesus), but those who are sick (sinners). 


He concluded by saying, "Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”


Hope you have heard it, I am only trying to interpret what Jesus said, what does an empty vessel like me know? Nothing do I know oooo. Hmmm.


Below are some of the reasons we should see ourselves as sinners, even if we are already making frantic efforts to be righteous.


1. Today we are sure, but not tomorrow. This moment we are upright, the next second we may be down with unexpected sins

2. We should not make jest of sinners that we are better than them, today is our turn, and tomorrow may be their turn, because of human weakness inside all of us. Your weakness may rubbish you tomorrow.

3. Still on weakness, your strength may be another person's weakness, while their strength may be your weakness. You can see that no one is exempted from falling.

4. As sinners, we have a future in Christ Jesus, but anyone who claims to be a living saint is only living in a paradise fool. Such a person's language is that he or she does not need Jesus. 

5. No one is yet a saint, until after death and such a person reigns with God in heaven.


So, do not segregate or discriminate, Jesus welcomes all, both the good and the bad. If Jesus never condemns, who are we to condemn others?

He called Matthew the tax collector who was regarded as the worst sinner then and ate with him and his fellow "sinners" as they were regarded by the Jewish people. 


How many of us can welcome and encourage hardened criminals, harlots, etc to turn to God in the way and manner we relate with them, rather we castigate them?


Remember... 

1. Psalm 130 says if you Oh Lord should mark our guilt who will survive? No one is righteous

2. Mark 10:18. 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good (perfct)? No one is good except God alone.

3. 1 John 1: 8-10 If we go around bragging, “We have no sin,” then we are fooling ourselves and are strangers to the truth. But if.....

4. Matt. 20: 16. The first shall be the last...

5. Matt. 21: 31. Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. etc


Therefore, we should not go about proclaiming ourselves as saints when we are not sure of the next minute. Unless you claim not to have human weakness, then you can continue to live in your paradise fool.


I encourage us today to strive towards perfection and to trust in the unmerited grace of God to sustain us to the end of our lives here on earth.


To acknowledge that we are sinners simply means we are surrendering ourselves to God wholeheartedly to take control of all our lives since we are weak and do not know how to please Him.


Please, kindly join me to conclude with this song...


Hmmm, excuse me, make sure you sing it ooo, don't just laugh. Oya, let's go


I surrender, I surrender all (2ce)

All to thee my blessed saviour

I surrender, I surrender all 


Am watching as you are singing it ooooo 😆 


Peace ✌️ be with you


Rev. Fr. Segun Oladeji, CRS. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DO YOU KNOW WHY AND HOW JESUS OVERCAME HIS TEMPTATION?

IF JESUS WAS BAD, CAN YOU FOLLOW HIM?

DO NOT BE A HYPOCRITICAL PERSON